Thursday, April 10, 2008

We've moved!

Yeah, i like blogger better than myspace. For a while i debated about posting a blog at all - i wanted to make sure that my motivation for posting a blog wasnt for validation from people or in hoping people would be impressed by my musings. As i read more and more blogs, however, it seems to me that blogs are like private journals. People arent really trying to influence or impress people so much as interact with them over particular subjects. i like the idea that blogs could be what CS Lewis had with his close friends - a place to get together and talk about the day and what is on their minds. CS Lewis' friends lived close by and they had a pub to get together in, but in my case, a lot of my friends are far away, so this blog could be a means of getting their thoughts on my perspective. I have enjoyed my friends' blogs that are already on here for the same reason. I may not leave a comment (which i am trying to get better at), but i read the blog and think about what they wrote - and i do like knowing what is going on in their lives. Another reason for blogging is that writing gives me an outlet. I intend to do more writing overall - both privately and publicly. Writing privately will help me in remembering my thoughts and prayers and writing publicly helps me get better at communicating with people. John Piper, when asked what advice he would give an aspiring preacher, the first thing he said was "to write". He says that writing helps order your thinking and speaking. Incidentally, the Desiring God blog posted pointers from CS Lewis on writing and speaking that are pretty good

I know this was kind of a rambling post, but expect that in all future posts of mine as i havent really mastered the art of writing, speaking, cooking, or landscaping.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good to see you blogging, man.